Friday, February 13, 2009

The Christmas quilt

So, I made my first quilt EVER as a Christmas present for my brother-in-law. The three brothers and three sister-in-laws exchanged names. The rules to the gift: 1) had to be handmade and 2) $25 limit on all materials.

I didn't have as much time as I would have liked and I also didn't have the appropriate tools (like a rotary cutter and board), so I had to make do. I think it turned out somewhat OK considering...




A modified version of the "rail fence" quilt. Since I didn't have a rotary cutter, my pieces came out in slightly different sizes, so I had to improvise...



As you can see in this close-up - the ends wouldn't have lined up, so I had to put a strip of fabric in between each row.

I didn't take a picture of it, but I tied off the quilt in the back. However, since I didn't have a large needle (I'm really good at having what I need, aren't I?), I had to do it with thick embroidery floss instead of the ribbon I bought for this purpose.

I think next time I make a quilt I'll be sure to have the appropriate tools.

No comments: