Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The creepy crawlies

Bugs. *shudder*

I hate bugs.

Let me clarify - I hate bugs in the house. If they are outside and doing their bug thing...all is good. Once they crawl their way into my house - MY DOMAIN - they are playing a serious game of roulette with their lives.

Tonight I found 3 spiders in the span of 5 minutes:
1. Washed hands in the bathroom sink - spider hanging out on the drain (didn't need hubby to kill that one. Nothing a little soapy water and a good dose of Listerine couldn't solve)
2. Walked into our bedroom and noticed one on the ceiling on MY side of the bed
3. On my way to call ShankRabbit for spider removal and saw one creeping his way across our kitchen ceiling.

Over the last week, I can't tell you how many spiders I've found in our house. I don't know where they are coming from, but they must have all been from the same spidey nest - they look exactly the same (same color and same size).

Before you get all "equal rights for BUGS!" on me (I like to think there are some bug advocates out there. Everyone else has one), I have every right to despise them. I spent a good deal of my childhood in a basement apartment in Chicago. You couldn't go a couple days without getting some sort of bug bite (usually a spider). I vividly remember waking up one morning to a spider bite on my eyelid that caused my eye to swell shut.


I've causually mentioned it to ShankRabbit before, but now I'm strongly suggesting it (because I know he'll read this): exterminator.

8 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

I love my exterminator almost as much as I love my husband. Wait, no... Well, he IS hot. And he kills spiders. So really, isn't he like husband #2? (Did I mention he's hot?)

We had a mammoth bug of some sort upstairs a couple of nights ago. The kind that makes me shriek and run. Joe said "palmetto bug" but I know that really means "giant killer cockroach that will eat your face while you sleep".

Otter Thomas said...

Bugs outside are bad too. Where I grew up when you drove at night itsounded like it was raining becasue so many bugs were hitting the windshield. We have mosquitos the size of helicopters. Bugs suck.

Un-Hawthorne-ed said...

You and the other Jen should get together in your shared disdain of the entire insect kingdom/phylum/class/order/family/genus and species. I on the other hand will gladly jump on the support bandwagon. At least for spiders and other extremely useful insect friends. They kill and eat mosquitoes. At least they have that going for them. Mosquitoes are just useless AND a pain in the ass.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
always good to hear about fellow celiacs! i haven't read thru all your entries, but i am wondering if you are doing more harm then good by going gluten-free without accurate testing. there are various levels of gluten intolerance - allergy, intolerance without permanent damage and full blown celiac. isn't it better to know before going gluten-free?
respectfully,

ShankRabbit said...

Hey Anon -

It's actually not Isabella who is the Celiac, but me (her husband). In 2005 I was accurately tested by my doctor and was medically diagnosed as a Celiac. Believe me, I'm one of those people who gets peeved at people who "self-diagnose". My mother is also a medically diagnosed Celiac and, as I'm sure you know, Celiac disease is most often genetically inherited from the 6th chromosome of the parent. Children who have only one parent as a Celiac have a 1 in 4 chance of being HLA identical to one parent (Human Leukocyte Antigen, which of course you know as the antigens that elicit the strongest immunological response). I, unfortunately, happened to be that 1 who is identical to my mother.

I wouldn't have given up gluten that easily.

As far as our daughter is concerned, at the beginning of her "eating career" we kept gluten out of her diet because you cannot properly medically diagnose a child until they are at least 3 years of age, which of course I'm sure you knew as well.

Since she's turned 1 we've been slowly introducing gluten and so far she doesn't appear to have Celiac or an intolerance to gluten.

Thanks for the comment, Anon, always nice to see Celiacs roaming and commenting. Next time sign your name or, even better, get a Google account we can have "commenty" fun with a person and I don't have to call you Anon anymore. Besides, being Anon and leaving uninformed and ignorant comments about people's health is sort of shady, don't you agree?

Scriptor Senex said...

Feel a bit silly adding to the bug debate after the serious comments on Celiac - hope you realise I'm not dismissing the importance of that issue!

But hey Isabella, someone's got to take the bug's side. I can sympathise with your dislike of them indoors but outdoors I love them - so fascinating. Ironically one of my wife's fears while I'm away on holiday was getting a stinging insect in the house - instad she got a wood pigeon down the chimney! She's gone off birds now as well!

Isabella said...

@ Scriptor - I agree...bugs (outside) can be fascinating. I had a wonderful biology teacher in high school that exposed us to a lot of bugs (safely contained and controlled, might I add) - this was fun. Finding a spider above my bed - not so fun.

Wow, a bird in the house?! I think I'd pass out. :)

Isabella said...

@ Call Me Cate - um, I know you're in an undisclosed location...but can I have the number to your (hot) exterminator? ;)

@ Otter Thomas - ShankRabbit and I find enjoyment in seeing how big the bugs are hit the windshield (and make the appropriate groaning noises when they splatter). We're some odd folk, I tell ya.

@ Un-Hawthorne-ed - I support them...they are useful. Just not IN the house.

@ Anon - uh, yeah...what ShankRabbit said.